What is success? The Definition applies to a wide range of achievements. For one being successful means, they have achieved a certain state of living they have ever dreamed of. For others, it is related to having great friendships, with trust, honesty and great discussions. For me, the term of being successful is closely linked to the particular area of life. For instance, if you asked me on how my dreams of being successful in business look ideally like, I would have responded the following: For me being careerwise successful is to earning a certain standard of living with the activity I like doing most. This event combines three essential elements. Firstly, it gives me joy doing it. Secondly, I can earn a living standard. Thirdly, I have skill in doing this activity, and I will still develop my abilities day by day.
But there is one thing I would define as the essential characteristic when considering success. In any success, the #1 most crucial element of setting the stage to be successful is to become productive. Not only as productive as average competitors. I am talking about developing the maximum productivity you can individually achieve. The highest productivity level, of which others will always remain dreaming of. A remarkable productivity is theoretically easy to reach and efforts practically transparent and sustainable steps to implement on a daily basis. I will reveal what Dr. Sharon Grossman taught us,¬†within her “Time Mastery” Talk last week here in the heart of San Francisco’s Financial District.

Background: San Francisco. Wednesday evening. A warm Wednesday evening. Luis and I are on our way to this Company we haven’t heard before. To attend talks of speakers, we haven’t been aware of yet. As we arrived, we were firstly surprised that it was kind of small private event. Small events are incredibly efficient to networking and get to know other people on a deep basis. Secondly, we enjoyed this kind of warm atmosphere within the room and among the audience. Shanon Grossman, Ph.D. stepped to the front to introduce herself. She was the first speaker of that evening and the primary reason for us to spend our evening attending that place rather than spending time doing other important things. Dr. Grossman had an incredible confidence when talking in front of us. Not only confidence, but she was also remarkable passionate about expressing her key points. The points she made are fitting into the requirements I emphasized in the opening to this article.

Productivity just means how much you accomplish in a certain amount of time. Some people are incredibly efficient in the way they work and prepare for next day’s tasks. That is remarkable and amazing to watch. Some people claim it is the talent which sets these people apart from less competent people. That is not true. Sure, some people are enhanced when it comes to understanding things and getting links between several factors. However, if you are passionate about a particular activity, you want to do this activity often. Almost always. The sooner you get to it again, the better. That being said, being passionate about an activity sets the stage for becoming an expert in it. Your talent will then evaluate how far you get. All effectively and efficiently working people have one factor in common: They are all likely to pursuing their goal at highest productivity output possible.

Dr. Sharon Grossman’s analysis and solution approach come now into play. She found out that people, in particular, Millenials, are incredibly inefficient in how they accomplish tasks with consideration to time. That is because of one, they are not focused enough to just a single task, and secondly, they try to multitask, which harms working productivity significantly with negative correlation. The art is to find the sweet spot between time effort and time efficiency. Here is how you maximize your productivity potential to the fullest:

#1: Stop trying to Multitask. Multitasking is a myth. You can only be maximum productive on one task at a time. If you consider doing one task to the fullest efficiency you are 100% productive. If you do have two tasks instead, you might have a productivity of 80% on task A and 20% of work B. You aren’t highly productive. Neither on task A nor on B.¬†

#2: Work with a list. Seriously, planning your day or week ahead saves you a lot of time and makes things easier. Once you know you have everything scheduled, you can fully focus your mind and your thoughts on your specified task, without having time bottlenecks in your head subconsciously.

#3: Prioritize your activities. Once you made your list, start prioritizing your duties. The most important quests are set on top, the less necessary activities are shifted to the lower end of your list.

In the end, I would like to express that achieving highest productivity is a science and art at the same time. The science understands the myth of multitasking and the art is becoming passionate about something to set the stage to achieve the highest possible knowledgeable level and also reaching the stage of productivity you thought would have never been possible to accomplish.

Posted by Claudio R.

(B. SC.) Technical Management and Marketing; (MIB) Master of International Business; (MIM) Master of International Marketing

50 Comments

1. I always work with a list, keeps me in check and organized.

2. christicazin 7. March 2017 at 20:17

This is such great advice and very motivating.

Liked by 1 person

3. I agree multitasking can be so distracting. I’m often trying to do 3-4 things at the same time and it actually slows me down. Working with a To-Do-List is also a great idea. It keeps you organized.

4. kellyhoggons 7. March 2017 at 20:46

Completely agree with the multitasking one! When I try to do lots at once, I get nothing done, but if I focus on one task at a time, I’m way more productive!

Kelly // Velvet and Vibranium

Liked by 1 person

5. Great advice, thank you!!

Liked by 1 person

6. Wow I liked the suggestions. Thanks a lot for sharing. A really useful post.

7. electricrose4 7. March 2017 at 22:39

Great tips! I like your suggestion of making a list then prioritizing it, I will definitely give it a shot as I tend to try to multitask quite a bit! Cheers!

8. agentizerozerosetter 7. March 2017 at 22:58

Yes these are very useful tips!I tend to be multitasking,but sure…This is not always the better way!

Liked by 1 person

9. I am the queen of lists. If I don’t have it written down, it won’t get done.

Liked by 1 person

10. I completely agree with your top 3 steps to productivity! I’m a huge list maker and rely on it heavily to get everything I want accomplished. I do multi-task just a little bit, but really work at finishing one task completely before starting on something new. It works much better for me!

Liked by 1 person

11. I always make lists but I never prioritize my task.

Liked by 1 person

12. Well, I guess you can be multitasking and be organized too, In my case I am, and about taking notes it os so true, it helps you a lot!

Liked by 1 person

13. Loving this advice. I am obsessed with to-do lists, and I make one every single morning. I also have a “brain dump” spreadsheet to get ideas out and organize my thoughts. It has helped so much. Thanks for this informative post!

-Tristan

Liked by 1 person

14. These three tips boil productivity down to its core elements. I love making lists and I agree multitasking is a way we use to describe our inability to focus.

Liked by 1 person

15. These are all fantastic suggestions on how to be focused and productive. I find writing a to-do list to be extremely helpful and crossing tasks off once completed is quite fulfilling too.

Liked by 1 person

16. Very interesting article. I enjoyed about multitasking. It is true keep to one or two tasks and complete them move on. Sometimes I try to do so much more and then I never finish any.

Liked by 1 person

17. I think the hardest part for me is prioritizing. I tend to get sidetracked by things that I think are important that aren’t really. Thank you for the great tips!

18. Elizabeth O. 9. March 2017 at 10:09

It’s so tough to be productive when you’re not mentally prepared to do the things that needs to be done. These are great tips! I always make sure to follow a schedule with a list of things that I need to do as well.

Liked by 1 person

19. A list always helps and I learned the hard way about multitasking. I noticed that I work less efficiently and I end up just working for a longer period instead.

Liked by 1 person

20. Great advice! I’m glad I do all of this already, and I find I’m more productive than I was before, and a whole lot less stressed!

| diaryofasouthernmillennial.com

21. momknowsbest15 9. March 2017 at 19:50

My downfall is multi tasking. I need to work on that.

Liked by 1 person

22. Thanks for the tips, I completely agree on working with a list- it clears your mind and allows you to focus on your tasks, without forgetting anything.

Liked by 1 person

23. Absolutely true, every single one of those tips! I need to stop multi tasking. I need to make a list, oh wait, I do that already – I just need to follow said list! And I need to prioritise!

24. natalielovesbeauty 9. March 2017 at 23:32

I really need to work on making lists. Setting a goal in writing and knowing something has to be done works well for most people, I’m just so bad at it!

Liked by 1 person

25. That is some really good advice for everyone. Planning and listing sure does make life a whole lot easier.

Liked by 1 person

26. I really need to start making more lists. I rarely do this and I know it would help a lot.

Liked by 1 person

27. Well said. Planning ahead and have some listing can definitely help a lot in finishing a task. Do all your works with passion and perseverance and the rest will fall into places.

Liked by 1 person

28. It really is true. I can get so distracted sometimes when I try to “multitask” while working on stuff for my blog.

29. Really wanted some one to tell this to me. I usually end up multitasking and stress myself out. Having a list and priorities really helps.

30. I always have a to-do list. Helps me keep track of what I need to accomplish.

31. You have made some really great tips. I like to prioritize by creating a schedule and setting deadlines to complete with this I get this done faster even before the sated deadline.

32. You have made some really great tips. I like to prioritize by creating a schedule and setting deadlines to complete with this I get things* done faster even before the sated deadline

33. You have made some really great tips. I like to prioritize by creating a schedule and setting deadlines to complete with this I get things* done faster even before the stated* deadline.

34. Working with a list is always great. It’s important to have a balance between organization and spontaneity, though, so you don’t get burnt out.

Liked by 1 person

35. Great advice. I stopped trying to multitask a few years ago and did notice a nice improvement in my productivity. I was working as a consultant in the architectural industry and each client demanded daily briefings but my schedule couldn’t handle all of them so I changed to a weekly briefing which was more productive for all of us.

Liked by 1 person

36. I would be absolutely lost without a list. Seeing everything laid out helps me to prioritize (and also to not miss important tasks!).

37. Your motivation is very inspiring. I practically have a list for every aspect of my life ( personal , professional and lifestyle which includes kids)

38. I get a little list obsessed. I recently started using Google notes and I have created so many lists that I needed to make lists for my lists. haha. Yeah I also agree that multitasking doesn’t work. Which is why I hate working in the real world. They expect you to be able to multitask as a skill in almost every job.

39. I am guilty on the multitasking part. It can be consuming at times.

40. All excellent tips that I am bad at doing. I should streamline and try it.

41. sparkofsouthernmoms 11. March 2017 at 4:31

Great tips! I have lists for things I do and need to do in life.

42. Thanks for this great read today. I always thought that multi tasking would get the job done faster. But I was so wrong. At the end of the day, I have a gazillion tasks all half done. I will be heeding your advice and be on my way to a more productive week ahead.

43. toastycritic 11. March 2017 at 7:24

That is interesting that you say that multitaskingks a myth. But I understand what you are saying. I think a lot depends on the task at hand and what kind of skill it requires.

44. This year, I learned about having a list to be productive. It keeps me on my toes as to what tasks are my priorities and what task can be done later.

45. I’m all about check lists or I would get nothing done!

46. Very inspiring post and great tips! I totally agree with prioritizing activities and it saves a lot of time and stress!

47. Thanks for this! I really need t implement these tips. I’m terrible at time management.

48. emmaandroseblog 15. March 2017 at 13:58

I am so bad with all 3 of these. I’m always getting distracted by something or I have to wait for something to finish so I’ll do something else while I wait. I do work with lists, but I don’t write them all in one place & I have so many things I want to do. Prioritizing is hard for me. I tend to do last in first out. It seems the easier thing to do at first, but then I don’t get the important things done and I get stressed.

xo, Lynn N.
    Pinterest/Twitter: @emmaandrose
    Instagram: @emmaandroseblog

49. Super agree! Definitely saves time. Thanks for this motivational post, very inspiring as well.

50. Great post. I keep a list but then end up doing so much at once and in the end I’m satisfied with none of my work. Will keep step 3 in mind from now on.