I always admired Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Rosa Parks and Jane Austin. I’ve always had big dreams, growing up with my head in the clouds imagining how I could make the world a better place. I always admired Martin Luther King, Gandhi, Rosa Parks and Jane Austin. I kept my eyes on them because they inspired me, they made me believe that I could do anything when my parents or friends told me “You could never do that, it’s too difficult”. I always still believed, no matter what anyone said. Growing up most of my life as an introvert, I found it difficult to function day-to-day with people. My social anxiety left me unable to speak most of time, while all of my thoughts, opinions and experiences were casted away forgotten and unexpressed. All of the brilliance and intelligence that were hidden beneath took years to be able to expose. I didn’t realize how important my voice was and how I could use it to create the world around me. Back then, I wanted to save the world. I wanted equality for all, I wanted a clean environment, and hopefully some day my own business. I had big dreams, but lacked the ability to express them to others. There was so much passion and drive spewing from my being, with nowhere to focus it. I look back now and realize how silly I have been to let my voice, my charisma, and my happiness lie dormant for so many years.

It began in my undergraduate years of college when I studied political science. My professors were slowly chipping away at my anxiety and building a strong, well-expressed and influential person. We had research presentations, negotiations, debates and socratic seminars that were graded based on how convincing you are to your audience and if you had a relevant provable argument. This is an introvert’s nightmare, well, for me it was. I dreaded every single minute that my voice cracked, my hands shook, and my mind went blank. I did not enjoy this, but it was a journey towards growth. All of the activities, projects, presentations and debates groomed me and made me stronger. I realized that in life, you ultimately (on every level) have to communicate with human beings on a day-to-day basis to share your vision of the world and to create things anew. I realized that this was not possible by staying within my comfort zone.

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. – MLK

The ability to communicate effectively and rally a team towards a common goal are often underestimated when making a dream business come to fruition. Look at some of the greatest leaders in our society like Gandhi, Martin Luther King, and Bill Gates. These powerful individuals mastered the art of influence and driving social change to be successful.

Here are 6 tips to influencing people and building a community around your business.

1. Practice Charismatic Communication

First and foremost, it is important to be charismatic but to also communicate with the people around you, whether it be a team, a business, a best friend or boyfriend/girlfriend. Charisma is keeping a good attitude, inspiring others with a charm that is compelling and inspirational. If you’re having trouble with unleashing your authentic charismatic self, work on being comfortable with who you are and loving yourself as is. This ability to accept yourself one hundred percent will grant you comfort with yourself that others will feel and see. They will be open and feel compelled to either follow or talk to you because there’s something “different” about you, a glow and aura that they cannot seem to describe that attracts them.

2. Invoke Genuineness and Authenticity

There seems to be something special about the humbleness and authenticity of Gandhi and biblical figures like Jesus that led them to have the most followers and impact on society by shifting their climate for the better. The gentleness that blanketed people like Jesus led him to have a huge following of believers; where he taught them, loved them, and befriended them. Or Gandhi, where he inspired radical change through peaceful protest while remaining genuine and gentle when it came to the injustices he saw in the world. Both of these individuals remained genuine and authentic to their true selves. Being inherently peaceful in nature, they utilized authenticity to drive the change they wanted to see in the world, and it worked. The key is to find the truth in you. Here is how you can bring authenticity to your brand or business.

3. Have Transparency

Being open and honest about everything in business is crucial. Your employees, customers, friends or family do not want to be deceived or misguided. Don’t overlook the importance of being truthful and completely transparent. It may sometimes feel counterintuitive to expose the truth, but by doing so, you give your audience more trust in you. When we are honest, it invokes a feeling of trust in others because you are transparent and open enough, to tell the truth regardless of what others may think. This is key in influencing people and building a community. People are looking for a leader that they can trust their lives and families with. They want to know they can trust you when things get tough.

4. Master the Art of Finesse (the ability to recognize and feel environments)

Finesse is defined as the skillful handling of a situation or adroit maneuvering. It is important to be able to feel a situation or the character of a person as they are and handle the situation in a way that is graceful and maneuvers you, your business, friends or ideas out of the fire and into flourishing environments. Finesse requires careful attention to yourself, your environment and others.  It requires you to interpret how we, as people, interconnect and cause a ripple effect in every situation. Knowing your surroundings when creating your dream is essential to its ability to grow. Let’s say your business is like a garden. By not being aware, one may allow pests to come into the garden and destroy all of your glorious work. But finesse will allow you to pluck the pests before they can affect anything.

5. Improve Your Emotional Intelligence (EQ) and Self-Reflect

Read books like Emotional Intelligence 2.0 that aid in increasing your emotional intelligence using the four core EQ skills―self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management―to exceed your goals and achieve your fullest potential. In building your business or brand, EQ in essential in influencing people and building a community around your business. If you can master your own emotions and relationships with people, you can build your vision, you can get your dream job, you can be the change you wish to see in the world.

6. Have a Strong Mission and Core values/ethics

Concepts like the Golden Circle explain that people don’t care what you do, but they care how you do it. This means that how and why you are building your brand or purpose is inherently very significant. Surrounding your mission and core values within the brand and reinforcing these aspects will lead to a trustworthy, authentic business or idea that will yield dedicated followers, employees and friends. They care to see that what they are supporting has good and solid roots.

Life is about interacting with people, helping them, solving problems, seeing the world and creating. If you are a person that has big dreams that your friends or family says will never happen, tell them to think again. People always seem to say “anything is possible”, but how? Do they wave a magic wand to grant all of their dreams to come true with one flick of the wrist? Not likely. The people who believe anything can happen to believe in hard work, persistence, and never underestimate the emotional intelligence and the ability to influence people on a daily basis.

If we do not have this, we do not have change. By investing in yourself, we do not have the brilliant business idea that falls through the cracks because of bad communication. We get the next wave of innovation by embracing interactions with people and driving them toward our vision that we see is just over the horizon. Begin building the ‘you’ that has always been within. Start making the dreams and visions that you have always dreamt. Start to make your contribution to the world with your brilliance, your passion, your ideas, and your inspiration.
Start now.

Posted by Briana B.

(BA) Political Science Concentration Pre Law; (MIB) Master of International Business; (MIM) Master of International Marketing

41 Comments

1. These are great tips! thanks for sharing!

1. Thank you!

Liked by 1 person

2. Heck of a job there, it abselutoly helps me out.

2. That New Girl 13. March 2017 at 21:56

This is so timely for me. I’m also trying to use my blog & brand for community development, and inspiring young women. Following! Your blog is amazing

Liked by 2 people

3. That New Girl 13. March 2017 at 21:57

Enjoying the point about Finesse… never thought about that!

Liked by 2 people

4. emilynncaulfield 14. March 2017 at 4:41

I really enjoyed reading your very informative & detailed post. Definitely will be keeping these tips in mind because I really hope to have a strong and amazing community one day. Thanks for sharing!

Liked by 2 people

5. This is so good! I love it:) Thank you for this!!!!

Liked by 2 people

6. These are fantastic tips! I am a blogger, so building a sound community around my blog can be a bit difficult! I will definitely try these tips out!

Liked by 1 person

7. Love these tips! You’ve really nailed it with this one.

Number 6 on your list is number 1 on mine. I’m a Christian and I’ve noticed when I don’t put God first, everything else is just a hot mess!

8. This is a great post. I view it as a path to success. Keep it up

Liked by 1 person

9. Great tips Briana. I’m pinning this so I can read again – when i’m reviewing a few things about my business.

Liked by 1 person

10. These are great tips. I am going to try them. I noticed I have issues keeping people’s attention. Not sure why.

Liked by 1 person

11. So glad that I read this article and in great timing. You are such a strong and inspiring woman…love it!

Liked by 1 person

12. I think being authentic is huge. People can almost always spot a fake and no one likes a fake person.

Liked by 1 person

13. Great post. I love the tips on authenticity and the fact that people don’t care what you do, but they care how you do it. Thanks for sharing!

14. colenemeth31 15. March 2017 at 1:05

Truly inspiring and all of these points are so true! In today’s world, people want community, businesses that are transparent with good values. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

15. Great tips! These are some handy tools to use in business.

xo, Elizabeth | txelizabeth.com

Liked by 1 person

16. Wonderful Post. Great tips. Perfect timing for me as I am looking to change careers as I near 50 years old.

17. 1stclassrvadventures 15. March 2017 at 5:33

Great post! I recently wrote about being an introvert and I can totally relate to what you said about having my head up in the clouds looking up to those who inspired me including Mother Theresa. Cheers to us crazy dreaming introverts chasing our dreams!

Liked by 1 person

18. I really do need help building my social circle sometimes, I always feel like I’m such a failure at it. Thank you for the great tips! I will keep them in mind!

Liked by 1 person

19. These are all brilliant tips. I like this one the most: ‘people don’t care what you do, but they care how you do it’. This is very true. I find it more interesting when others show why they are passionate about their advocacies. There are so many brands and companies in the world but only a few standout. They are more dedicated and proactive in spreading their brands goals.

20. I’m just about to open my own company and it’s good to read articles like this. I have learned a lot but I am always looking forward to things that I might have missed. I really appreciate this post!

21. These tips are great. I really like the one about transparency. Being honest in everything we do in our business is a key to success indeed.

22. annalisanuttall 15. March 2017 at 15:39

These are fantastic tips and i do need to build my social circle. Very nice blog post. x

23. Well said. I think it is important to be open and transparent but charisma is important too, being likable but professional will get you far x

24. Great article.You offered advice I would have never even thought of. Thank You

25. Needed this post. You always give such great advice!

26. Great post indeed! I also identify a bit with your journey – introvert that I was?!!! 🙂

27. I love this! I totally agree with having strong ethics for sure.

28. Very good advice. Earlier today I got a kindle version of the Emotional Intelligence book to work on my self awareness.

29. Michelle Waller 16. March 2017 at 4:13

These are great tips. I am going to have to implement these in the new business I am starting.

30. toastycritic 16. March 2017 at 6:24

I have heard a lot of different things about
    Emotional intelligence and it’s importance. I know it helps to connect people with one another.

31. Thank you for sharing us your tips ! Ive learned a lot and I hope I could incorporate this to my own ways 🙂

-blairvillanueva

32. Very detailed and informative post. What an eye opener! Thanks for taking time to write this post.

33. Great advice, I am trying to do this exact thing so I will be definitely referring back to this post.

34. Very valid tips..Thanks for sharing

35. Oooo so much awesome advice here!!! I really should see how I can apply these tips to my own business

36. I love that this advice is to the point, simple and realistic. By being yourself, receptive and genuine your business can skyrocket!